May 5, 2011

LOOKING FOR KNOWLEDGE...THE PROCESS OF GETTING TO KNOW ANTIQUE & VINTAGE COLLECTIBLES

"In youth we learn; in age we understand." - Marie von Ebner Eschenbach



"Maybe I'm a prehistoric monster by being an individual. It's highly likely. All I offer to others is their own individuality. Grab it!" - 



You've probably all heard the words 'depression glass', and some of you might even have a pretty good idea of what it is. But, it is probably safe to assume that most people, in this day and age, actually don't have a clue what it is or perhaps what they believe they know about depression glass is only part of the actual history. Of course there are those of you who know WAY more about depression glass than I could ever hope to. Please don't hesitate to share your knowledge with us, wouldn't want to be stingy, would you?!?!


A New Beat...
I have embarked on a new voyage, a new pursuit, somewhat terrifying but thrilling too! This business of antique and vintage collectibles has opened a whole new world for me, an appreciation of things I wasn't even aware existed or knew existed but had no idea what they were or how fabulous they truly are.


A Brief History of Me (relating to glassware of course)...



My Mom & Dad's 25th Anniversary!
I wasn't even born yet!!! :)
I was born in 1969, to parents that were born in the 1920's! So, you'd think my age would have limited my exposure to Depression Glass first hand. But, since this is the glassware my parents grew up with and continued to treasure through-out their years, I grew up with it as well, I just didn't realize it at the time. So I SAW, but didn't have a clue!


Share and Share Alike...
I have combed my way through books, websites, blogs, dictionaries, and the like, to learn from the learned. Others have shared their knowledge with me, so I thought it was only right to create a forum to share this information with you.


Depression Glass ~ A Great Place To Start...
The Great Depression is often referred as a "defining moment" in the history of the United States. I would also consider it to be a defining moment in the history of glassware. As a result of the severe economic decline, glass makers of that era were compelled to come up with a creative and inexpensive product that could help stave off their own financial demise, and for many of them, it worked! There were 117 patterns made by over 20 manufacturers and 80 plus patterns made in what is considered "Elegant Depression Glass". We will keep our focus, at least initially, on the core of what is referred to as Depression Glass.


Why...
These 117 patterns, of clear or colored translucent glass, were from manufactured from 1929 to 1939. But keep in mind some patterns existed just prior to the depression and several patterns for years after. Food manufactures and distributors, such as Quaker Oats, would put a piece of glassware in their products as an incentive to purchase their products over a competitors. In addition, movie theaters, gas stations, and other businesses would give pieces away to entice people into becoming customers.


Looking Forward...
Next post (wait for it)...
I'll be posting a complete list of each pattern of Depression Glass (Adam to Windsor) along with the list of each maker. It only gets better from here! ;)


In the meantime, PLEASE...
VISIT my Etsy Store
SUBSCRIBE to my Blog Posts
FOLLOW ME on Twitter @QuirksByAnnie
LIKE me on facebook.com
OR JUST SEND ME A GOOD OL' FASHIONED e-mail

    No comments:

    Post a Comment